AQO 1959/22-27 Oral question to the Minister of Education
To ask the Minister of Education to provide an update on when a decision will be made regarding the initial site for Causeway Academy.
Asked by Claire Sugden MLA on 1 May 2025
- Answered
- Oral
- Answered in the Chamber
- Tabled
- 1 May 2025
- Answer due by
- 12 May 2025
- Answered
- 12 May 202511 days after tabling
- Department
- Department of Education
- Priority question
- No
Answer
Answered in the Assembly Chamber on 12 May 2025. Extract from the Official Report (Hansard), including any supplementary questions:
Mr Givan (The Minister of Education)
The Education Authority (EA) submitted a business case to my Department on 4 April 2025 to facilitate the establishment of Causeway Academy. My Department has never had such a significant capital requirement presented to it arising from an approved development proposal (DP), and it has never committed to such significant works to facilitate a DP as those proposed for Causeway Academy without the full rigours of a major works call for projects. I met EA officials on 8 April to discuss the options in the business case, and I asked for the options to be reviewed and the business case resubmitted to my Department. That work is currently under way.
Ms Sugden
I appreciate that: that is new information. The Minister will be conscious that the delay in announcing the new school site will have an impact on people applying for the new Causeway Academy and we need that reassurance as soon as possible. Does he have a timeline for when we can expect that answer?
Mr Givan
I appreciate the comments and share the views that the Member has raised with me. I have met the principals behind the school, and, recently, I have engaged with the newly appointed principal who will take forward the school, and those concerns have been expressed to me. As I said in my original response, I have met my senior officials and the EA, and they are reviewing the issues for me. Options are being considered. They include the operation of the school on a split-site basis. It would be premature, though, to speculate on the preferred site option until all options under consideration had been progressed through the business case process. That is what will identify the preferred way forward. I appreciate the question about the timeline, and I have asked EA and my officials to bring forward information on that as soon as possible so that we can give clarity to the school.
Mr Mathison
Can the Minister provide an update on the identification of an agreed site for mid Down integrated college and on the ongoing progress to deliver that project?
Mr Givan
The question is exclusively about the Causeway proposal. Members can ask what they wish, but I do not have a response prepared for that question.
Mr Deputy Speaker (Mr Blair)
Members have been reminded already today that questions should relate directly to the original question.
Mr Bradley
Having had meetings for several years with the educational establishments that will form the new school, I am extremely disappointed that it is now back to the drawing board and that no clarity has been given. Can the Minister provide clarity, at least to the new board of governors, on where the project is going to go and the way forward?
Mr Givan
Mr Bradley has been a consistent and passionate campaigner for progress to be made on the site. He has made representation to me on a number of occasions. The challenge that has presented is with the significant, major capital expenditure in order to facilitate location on the site that had been identified and with which the Member will be familiar. I have met officials and suggested that they need to look at an approach that makes it much more manageable financially. My preference is that we commence the work at the preferred site. That is what I want the day-1 solution to be, and that is what I am still asking my officials to work towards. They are reviewing the process that was brought forward. I have asked them to give me a solution that would meet what, I know, the Member and other Members who have made representations to me on this want. It is frustrating for me that I am not in that position today. I understand that it is much more frustrating for those involved that we still do not have the clarity that is needed to make the progress that, I know, the Member wants, and I will continue to persevere on his behalf.